Monday, August 2, 2010

Grandma and Grandpa's house - Springfield, IL

You know how we all have those places that whenever we think about them or go to them, we are just happy?  Our happy places.  At the top of my list of happy places is Springfield, Illinois.  I know this may not sound exciting, as there are many more tropical and/or big city lights kinds of places (I have some of those on my list too) but Springfield, IL is the home of people I really love and many, many memories.  It started in high school because a boy named Troy, who I had a really big crush on, lived there.  There were calls made from my house, an hour south, to Troy's house in Springfield and vice versa.  I can remember going out to get the mail seeing letters with the return address of Springfield and being so excited to read them (that's right, kids, this was before email.).  My relationship with Troy started right outside of Springfield, in a little town that had a church camp where we both went.  As we began dating seriously in college there were many trips made to Springfield to visit Troy's parents and sister....all who I love dearly.  All of these years later.....8 years of marriage and 2 babies later....I love being there.  It is home to me.  And, now I get the joy of seeing Kyla and Ashlyn start to fall in love with it because their Grandma and Grandpa live there.  No doubt, it will be one of their happy places.    Here are some pictures of the fun had at Grandma and Grandpa's house while we visited last week:

Ashlyn having fun


Sisters


Ashlyn standing up against a push toy....loving it!


Kyla and Grandpa


Ready to play catch


Sisters having fun together


Kyla having a bath in Grandma and Grandpa's big tub


Picking tomatoes


Ashlyn just being cute


Kyla being the doctor


Kyla checking out Daddy and Aunt Heidi's piano skills

Another thing I love about Springfield is the relationship I share with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  We have a lot of fun together!  And, one thing you should know about my mother-in-law is that she is amazing at sewing and has made all of the drapery I have ever had since Troy and I got married....I always tell her she should go into business for herself.  Along with her, my sister-in-law, Heidi, is awesome at coming up with really creative ideas....I think they should go into business together.  Anyway, between the three of us we have a blast at fabrics stores (we have spent many hours at them over the years) picking out things for our latest projects.  On this recent trip to Springfield we set out to find fabric for Christmas stockings, a Christmas tree skirt and a shower curtain that Kathleen is making for me.  They took me to a new place....the Quilt Shop in Rochester, IL......they warned me that it is kind of old and rustic, but has a really great selection of fabric...I was in love as soon as we walked in.  It is about as quaint and Mid-western as you can get....with fabric as far as your eyes can see.  It can now be added to my list of happy places.

Here is the sign on the building


And this is what you see as soon as you walk in

One more really great thing about Springfield is that it is the home of Abraham Lincoln, so there is a lot of history that is part of it.  Recently built there is the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum....Troy and I took an afternoon to check it out.  We had a great time and it is a really nice museum....definitely check it out if you are ever in the area. 

Here is Troy right outside the museum

There is nothing better than our happy places.....and seeing our children start to get some of their own. 


1 comment:

  1. Man, I wish someone would have told me about the quilt shop...while I was in Springfield 2 weeks ago! I love to use fabrics in my scrapbooks for clients. Oh well, maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete