Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We're getting there....

As anyone who has ever had a baby would know, the infant stage is all about meeting milestones.  In the first year of a baby's life, they learn to do so many things.  And, yes, we all know each baby does things a little differently, but in general, there is an overall time line to be expected.  That time line has been one of the biggest things I have had to overcome as Ashlyn's mom.  It has increased patience in me greatly (although I have a ways to go).  It has caused me to be thankful for little things that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed.  It has caused our whole family to root for Ashlyn as she works and works to meet milestones.  It has caused me to be on my knees constantly....asking God for a little more patience and peace as I watch babies younger than Ashlyn surpassing her.  As I see babies move to the toddler nursery at church as my girl stays behind for awhile longer.  It has caused me to question why Ashlyn being behind bothers me at all. 

Ashlyn has many therapy sessions each week to work on all of these things and we know they are helping her.  She is 15 months now and the one thing that we hadn't really been seeing any progress in yet was crawling.  The time line was really getting to me on this one.  Remembering Kyla taking her first steps at 14 months while my 15 month old can't crawl.  Watching babies who are turning one and taking their first steps.  It gets to me sometimes....makes me anxious.  It is a process of learning to just let go.  It is walking the fine line of working with her to try to help her the best we can while also relaxing and knowing she will do it in her own time.  So, imagine our joy as we have been seeing this:

Ashlyn on all fours....in crawling position
 
All of a sudden, in the past week, she has just been getting up on all fours all by herself.  It used to be us doing it for her while she cried in frustration because she didn't want to be doing it.  Now, I just see her all through the day in this position....reaching out for toys.  And, because to some the time line is really no big deal, this might not seem like a big deal, but to us this is huge!!  I find myself every time I see this saying, "Thank you, Lord".  And, from the bottom of my heart, I am so thankful.  I have been continuing to realize as we get farther on this journey with Ashlyn what a gift we have been given.  We have been given the gift of true thankfulness.  We have been given the gift of increased trust in our God, because we have no other choice but to do exactly that.  To keep trusting while we wait.  We have been given the gift of true celebration...to rejoice when our girl makes these strides. 

Here is another look!  Seriously, I could look at this all day....we are rejoicing!

All of this makes me realize how much I am sure I take for granted.  All of the things around me that I don't even bother to be thankful for.  The great gift of Ashlyn for us is heightened awareness.  We see clearly what other babies are doing and we know it takes more time for Ashlyn.  But the littlest things have us jumping for joy with hearts of gratitude.  I can't help but think what my days would be like if I spent more time in gratitude for even the smallest things.....Ashlyn is helping me.  I have said it before, we needed her way more than she needed us.  So, today, I am thanking God for a little girl who can get herself into a crawling position.  And for this:

Check out the big girl starting to hold her sippy cup by herself.  Might seem little, but ask any of our therapists who have been working with her...it is big!  One more thing to celebrate!

4 comments: