Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Last year on Mother's Day, Ashlyn had been home from the NICU for just two days and my heart was breaking, my mind was completely confused and my eyes were swollen from crying.  My own mom was here and I remember her holding me in my kitchen as I sobbed and told her, "This isn't how I am supposed to feel on Mother's Day.  I don't think I will ever feel happy on this day."  She hugged me and said she knew that I would feel happy....it would come.  Of course, she was right and today was proof of that. 

This morning when I woke up on Mother's Day the first thing I did was go into Ashlyn's room and get her out of her crib.  I gave her a bottle and she smiled at me and babbled through the whole thing...great way to start the day.  My husband pampered me today in so many ways.  As you may have picked up by now, he is a pastor, and part of what that means is that Sunday is a work day for him.  Also, that means he leaves on Sunday mornings very early (like, middle of the night early.)  So, usually I get the girls ready and we try our very best to make it to church by 9:30 all clean and in one piece....today he came home after already being at church and helped get the girls ready so I could get ready more peacefully.  We had a wonderful morning at church and then came home and Troy grilled out steaks for us.  We put the girls down for naps and took a little nap ourselves.  Once we all woke up, we spent some time together outside.  Troy also surprised me by telling me that he is sending me on a weekend away in the Fall to Kansas City to be with my sister....perfect gift!  I can't wait!  It was a great day. 

I am thankful today for my mom (and that she was here to hug me last year when I needed it so badly), for my mother in law and for the fact that I get the joy of being a mommy myself.  Best job in the world.  I am thankful again for tears being redeemed today and for waking up this morning feeling so thankful to be the mom to my two beautiful girls.  Here are a few pictures of us from today.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment