Tuesday, July 20, 2010

30

I turned 30 yesterday.  I really didn't have a hard time with turning 30.....I loved my 20's, but am also looking forward to all God has waiting for me in my 30's.

I had such a wonderful birthday weekend, all due to my amazing husband and all the hard work he did to surprise me!  It started on Friday night with a knock on our door....and there was my sister, Kara and her boyfriend, Dustin.  Anyone who knows me knows that I adore my sister and we are very, very close.  So, I was beyond excited to see her.  Having Kara here to celebrate my birthday with me was the best gift I could have gotten.  Here is a picture of Kara with Kyla:

 

Troy had many other surprises waiting for me that I knew nothing about including a dinner with my friend, Kandace, and her husband and then a gathering of many friends waiting for us at Calvin Fletcher's Coffee Company where our dear friends, Doug and Judy Litsey are the managers.  When I first walked in I was so surprised because Troy had gathered many of our dear friends who were made at different points in my 20's. 

It meant so, so much to me and we had such a wonderful time visiting with everyone.  I didn't get a lot of pictures because I was so busy talking and having fun (my sister got a lot of good ones) but here are a couple that I have from the evening:


Kara, me and Kandace.  Kandace and I became friends in college....we had almost every single class together through our whole college career...many memories!

With my friends Tracy and Jennifer.  Jennifer and I went to college together and our husbands are friends also.  We had double dates in our college days and then were also in Kansas City together while our husbands were in seminary...they will always be dear friends of ours.  I met Tracy when we first moved here to Lafayette and we became instant friends.  Seriously, it was instant!  We will be traveling our 30's together...I am so thankful!

At one point in the weekend Troy asked me what were the highlights of my 20's.  It was a very easy question to answer.  My 20's were filled with so much.  The one constant of my 20's was Troy Hochstetler......and I am so happy that he will be for decades to come.  Troy asked me to marry him when I was 20 and we got married when I was 21.  Other precious things from my 20's include:

*Troy and I getting engaged - 20
*Graduating from college - 21
*Getting married!!!! - 21
*Moving to Kansas City with my brand new husband....getting an apartment together and starting my first job out of college....I worked at Kansas City Life Insurance Company in their Human Resources dept. doing recruiting and I loved it!
*Next move....to Indianapolis - 25
*Finding out I was pregnant for the first time - 25
*Kyla being born....definitely one of the best days of my life - 26
This year I got my dream job of being a stay at home mom
*Next move....to Lafayette, Indiana - 28
*Finding out I am pregnant with our second baby - 28
*Ashlyn is born and we are told she most likely has Down Syndrome...one of the hardest days of my life - 28
At this point in my 20's, I learned for the first time in my life that everything can change in a moment and began the journey of watching God make beauty from ashes.

I am deeply grateful as I look back over my 20's.  I became a wife and a mother in this past decade.  I made lifelong friendships.  I grew to know and love Jesus more.  There are no words I really can use to say all that these past 10 years have meant to me.  They have been very defining years....there are memories and moments that I will carry in my heart always.  When I turn 80, I might not remember it all clearly, but I will remember saying "yes" to Troy and marrying him.  I will remember having my first baby and holding Kyla and beginning motherhood with her.  I will remember seeing Ashlyn for the first time and the tears I cried over her.  I will remember how God was every bit as faithful as His Word says He is and that He turned weeping into joy.

As I look ahead into my 30's I have no idea all that will happen.  I know that God goes before me.  I know that Troy and I will journey through another decade together.  I know that I will get the deep joy of being a mommy to Kyla and Ashlyn....two of the greatest blessings I have ever received.  I know there will be highs and lows....joys and struggles.  And, I know that God will continue to be faithful and good.  So, to my 30's, I say, "Bring it on!"   And, here are my deepest loves that I get to share all of this with:






From where I am sitting, the 30's look really good.

1 comment:

  1. I have also loved my 30's! I love growing and learning/experiencing new things!

    ReplyDelete