Thursday, December 2, 2010

At my own pace.....

I was going through some things in Ashlyn's closet recently and came across a gift bag we received from Riley Hospital for Children.  We were given this the first time we took Ashlyn to the Down Syndrome clinic there.  It is a canvas bag that was filled with lots of information regarding Down Syndrome.  I remember at the time it was hard for me to accept this "gift" and how much I did not want to read the information inside.  It was too scary at the time.  I also remember how weird it felt to be carrying around a bag that had the words "Down Syndrome Indiana" in big letters on the front.  It was like we now had a souvenir from this new club we belonged to and I wasn't sure if I was ready to be a member.  But, I also remember I was falling in love with this little baby and if she was in the club, then I wanted in too.  Today, I am joyfully a member.

When I was looking at this bag just recently I noticed that on the back of it there is a poem.  The author of the poem is unknown, but the title is "The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome."  I am sure at the time, I glanced at it but it probably made my heart hurt too much to really read it.  I kept reading it today and I was realizing now how beautiful it is.  This poem is at the heart of my girl....Ashlyn Ruby.  As I read the words, I felt the tears in my eyes for how much I love her.  For how much she is teaching me.  For how much she is showing me the love of God.  For how much I am so thankful she is mine.  Words that at one time were hard to accept are words that today make me grateful.  And they go like this.....

"The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome"

My face may be different, but my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry, and I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you, to teach you to love
As God in the heavens, looks down from above
To Him I am no different, His love knows no bounds
It's those here among you, in cities and towns
That judge me by standards, that man has imparted
But this family I've chosen, will help me get started
For I'm one of the children, so special and few
That came here to learn, the same lessons as you
That love is acceptance, it comes from the heart
We all have the same purpose, though not from the start
The Lord gave me life, to live and embrace
And I'll do it as you do, but at my own pace.

To me, those words are beautiful.  When I was first accepting this diagnosis, they seemed anything but beautiful.  But, to know Ashlyn is to know beauty.  I love how the very last line says...."And I'll do it as you do, but at my own pace."  Ashlyn does have her own pace.....and it is filled with such sweetness and determination.  She will never be the first one to do something, but you can bet on the fact that she will keep trying and trying until she gets it. 

Ashlyn isn't walking yet.....she is taking it at her own pace.  And on her road to walking, she is making lots of strides.  She has a push toy that at first she just wanted to stand up with and then as soon as it started to move she would sit right down.  Then she would take just one or two steps with it.  Yesterday she circled our whole downstairs....her pace is working just fine for her.  Check her out on the move......



 Taking things at our own pace and learning that sometimes the slower the pace, the sweeter it is.

1 comment: