Saturday, December 11, 2010

Little moments that make up a lifetime

I heard someone say in an interview the other day that it is our everyday moments that make up a lifetime.  This isn't really a profound statement, but I loved it as soon as I heard it because I know it is true.  The things we do from day to day, over the years will make up our life.  I think I love the statement so much because it makes me want to cherish and celebrate and make special day to day things.  I also think that because I am watching babies turn into little girls before my eyes, I am seeing that the days can go quickly. 

I remember a time (I think we all have it) when I wanted to get to the next place so bad.  I can even remember when I was younger my parents would tell me to just enjoy the moment because before I knew it, it would be gone.  I know now that they had the perspective at that time to know it and I all I could see was that I wanted the next thing.  Well, welcome to perspective....I have it now.  I am in a place where I know that the everyday things of life are the most beautiful and to soak them up while they are here.  Things like my girls eating breakfast in their jammies, hearing Kyla sing to Ashlyn to calm her down ,Troy and I laughing our heads off about something, watching Kyla in her imaginary world, seeing Ashlyn do a new thing, Troy grabbing my hand in the car while we are driving and the list could go on and on. 

In the middle of this busy Christmas time, there have been some really great little moments that God is using to shape a beautiful lifetime.  Things like.....

Baking Christmas cookies.  There is nothing better than baking with your three year old on a snowy, cold day in December.

Ready to get started

 Time to go in the oven

Children's Christmas programs.  Kyla was in her very first Christmas program the other night.  It was for the preschool she attends at our church.  I bought her a fancy, Christmas dress to wear for it and we had practiced her songs.  When we got there I could tell she was feeling a little nervous and when it was time for her to go in a room with her classmates and wait for their turn to go on stage, she started crying and saying she didn't want to leave me.  At this point, I was thinking either she isn't going to make it on stage or she would cry through the whole thing.  It was at this time that Troy picked her up and took her aside to talk to her.....not out of anger, but as a pep talk.  I have to say.....this man in our lives is our rock and is able to calm all of his girls down, including this one.  After talking for a few minutes, Troy walked Kyla to her classroom to wait with the other kids and we wouldn't see her until the program started.  Well, a few minutes later she came out with a smile and sang her little heart out.  We were so glad she had such a good time and we loved watching every second of it.  Growing up.....it is happening.  Little moments that are making up a lifetime.

Kyla in her dress by the Christmas tree in her room

 Me and Kyla....waiting for the doors to open and for everything to start

 Ashlyn is ready for the show to start....she loved the music

 Kyla after lining up on stage....no tears

 The color is bad, but I love her sweet smile looking right at us

 Back at home

 Christmas for Everyone.  Our church, along with many others in the area, participates in this great thing called Christmas for Everyone.  Churches who participate sponsor families who aren't able to buy gifts for their children for Christmas.  Gifts are bought for the children and then on a designated day the parents come to the churches to get the gifts that were purchased for their children and they are wrapped for them.  Today  families came to our church to get their gifts and we were so glad to be there participating.  Troy and Ashlyn were greeters at the door and Kyla and I were gift wrappers.  Ashlyn was a perfect greeter and Kyla could not have done better at helping me wrap. 

 Bring on the gifts....we are ready to wrap!

 While I was wrapping, Kyla would get scraps of paper and wrap pretend gifts....they are under our tree right now.  She was such a great helper.

Going to see the big Christmas tree at Purdue.   When we moved to Lafayette, people would tell us that we should really go see the Christmas tree in the union at Purdue.  We listened to them and are glad we did.  Every year, a live tree is brought in and placed in the union at Purdue...and every year, I am amazed at how big it is and that it is a real tree.  The tree this year looks like this:

 
Upon seeing the tree Kyla said, "I can't believe the tree goes all the way to the sky," and Ashlyn made the sign for tree with a "t" sound.....my heart was rejoicing over that one!  I loved this years tree because it had silver tinsel draped all over it just like my Grandma and Granpda Thurman's tree did every year when we went to their house in Ohio for Christmas.

Kyla by the huge gingerbread house that is next to the tree

 Ashlyn loved hanging out by the tree

 Daddy and his girls

 Christmas moments that are making up a lifetime.  Soaking them up and thanking God for the girls He has given to me to share them with and the husband who I am so blessed to partner with in building a lifetime together. 

1 comment:

  1. Meghann sent us a forward of this. It is such a blessing. It was so nice to see all of you at the Christmas program. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    Mike and Terri Holaday

    ReplyDelete