Tuesday, September 21, 2010

She can laugh at the days to come.....

If you hang around in circles of Christian women very long, you are bound to hear a lot about the Proverbs 31 woman.  In recent years of my life, I have read and heard many teachings on this particular subject from the book of Proverbs.  I think most of it has to do with the fact that I am a wife and a mother (a very proud one!!) and that is what this portion of Proverbs is on. 

I attend a MOPS group (Mothers of Preschoolers) and this morning at our meeting, this is what the subject was on.  The speaker was great and most of what she had to say was from the perspective of how this woman from Proverbs was a helper to her husband.  Now, I know that immediately this can send some women into instant defensive mode because they think it means they have no voice or no say and that their husband towers over them in domination (none of that is true, but that is for another time.)  I also know that by the worlds standards, this woman spoken of in Proverbs would be considered very weak.....her main purpose in life is to watch over her home and care for her husband and children.  In the worlds eyes strength and success are measured by money, climbing the corporate ladder, getting your way and all of the glamorous perks that go with it.  However, as I am learning and studying more about this woman, I am finding that she is really, really tough.  I want to be her.

My very favorite verse right now in Proverbs 31 is verse 25.  "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."  I love it.  There is so much trust in that sentence....this speaks of a woman who trusts God with everything.....any worry she may have about the future, she trusts God so much that she can just laugh at it.  Now, I in no way think this means a person who is in denial....a person who is so out of touch with reality that they just laugh at everything.  Believe me, I know that sometimes life makes you cry.  Sometimes it is flat out hard.  To me this doesn't speak of not facing things head on and just getting through life with nervous laughter.  To me this means a trust in God that brings joy to today.  Trust in God that doesn't include constant worry about the future.

For many reasons this verse dives straight into my heart right now.  A few weeks ago our oldest daughter started preschool.  She loves it and it is very evident that she is soaking it all up.  For the first few days of preschool, I would notice when I would drop her off and pick her up, I would have this feeling of sadness inside of me.  A feeling of almost feeling like I am going to cry and kind of feeling like I can't breathe at the same time....I am not trying to be overly dramatic....I know this feeling.  This is the feeling of another dose of reality that Ashlyn's life will be different. School will be different for her.  Learning will be different for her.  I have known that ever since she was born, but to see Kyla start preschool, my heart started to ache because of the differences that I know are reality for Ashlyn. 

That is why this verse speaks so much to me.  I know Ashlyn's journey is going to be different....it already is. There will always be reminders of it.  There is the tendency in me to let all of the ways in which Ashlyn's life is going to be different and all of the challenges that are ahead, consume me.  However, there is this really big God in my life who just keeps showing me that isn't what He has for me.  Because there is major reality....Ashlyn has Down Syndrome and with that comes a different life for her and our family.  Yes, at times, my heart is going to ache.   Yes, there will be extra challenges....we can count on it.  But, the biggest reality of all is that all of those days ahead.....the days of unknown in Ashlyn's life, God is already at work on our behalf.  He will provide everything we need.  There is not one thing He cannot handle.  He will work all things together for good.  And, because those truths are bigger than any other reality.....I can "laugh at the days to come!"  It makes me smile right now.  Just try it....whatever is that big worry in your life.....whenever you think of it just smile and let out a big, "Ha, Ha!"  People around you may think you are crazy, but seriously, if they knew the joy in your heart from complete trust in God, they would want to get in on that crazy.

I absolutely love that God's Word speaks to everything in our lives.  To me these words are beautiful....,"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."    If you ask me, that is one strong girl....who finds her strength from trusting a really strong God.

  And here is a girl who knows how to laugh...head back, laughing loud


Love this little girl....my partner in, "laughing at the days to come."

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your heart...and pics of a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE Proverbs 31. I memorized it when we first got married. It speaks to me much more now than then. I guess it is the perspective of life. Laughing at the days to come is where I have meditated a lot lately too. Thanks for sharing. Ashlyn is darling! I love her laughter too! xo rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I just found your blog by searching for this verse. My son was recently diagnosed w a disease, tuberous sclerosis, that may cause huge developmental delays, seizures or not much at all. I feel like this is my verse I cling onto right now. To trust God with every moment, that I can't help but laugh at the deep joy he has given me and the security He has given me by following him.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful little girl!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete