Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of Preschool

My firstborn started preschool today and it could not have gone better.  I will cherish the memories from this morning always.  I told my husband tonight that someday on her wedding day, these are the kinds of things I will be thinking of.  The moments that moved her one step forward into her future.....all of the milestones and memories we shared together. 

I was emotional about her starting preschool.  Not so much because I was worried about her being there or even that she wouldn't like it, but more because of what it represents.  It represents the fact that we all know to be true....time keeps moving on and things will not always stay the same.  As much as I wish sometimes that I could have my kids always be 6 months old and spend my days sharing coos and smiles with them, that isn't how it works....that is not how God works. 

There is a very familiar verse that I love...."For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11.  I have this verse memorized and have thought about it many times over things concerning me, but recently I have been putting it into the context of my children.  God has plans for my children and I am pretty sure they don't include them staying at one age forever.  I also know I have no idea what those plans are, but I know they are good....they are for a future.  God has known Kyla and His plans for her long before I became her mama.  He knew she would start preschool today, who her teacher would be, the kids in her class and how He would use all of that to shape the plans He has for her.  And, even today, there were moments in my heart where I would feel sadness or fear thinking of what preschool will be like for Ashlyn someday....I know it may look different than how it did this morning for Kyla, but I am completely confident that God's plans for Ashlyn are for her good....for a hope and a future. 

With all of that being said, I know that God understands the hearts of mommies who love their babies and feel the need to cry over their baby albums the night before they start preschool (I may or may not be speaking from personal experience).  Anyway, I worked through the emotions and Kyla had a great first day.  Here are some of the memories I will always cherish:

Front door picture (I am sure this will be a yearly tradition)

Staircase picture (also a yearly tradition in the making)

Loves her backpack

Big "about to go into preschool" hug for Daddy


Ready to head inside

Kyla, Mommy and Daddy....all ready for the first day

Hand in hand....walking to her classroom

Backpack is placed on the hook

This is how I left Kyla this morning....she went straight to her seat with a smile on her face! Ready to go!

Here she is making her way through the crowd at pick up time....a happy preschooler!

She made a beeline for her little sister....happy to see Ashlyn!

It was a great first day of preschool.  I love Kyla so much.  I love Ashlyn so much.  I know it is the deep, deep love I feel for these girls that can make these new experiences bittersweet.  I think it comes with being a mama.  But, I am thankful for the good plans I know that are promised....for a hope and a future.....that includes first days of preschool.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shari,
    It was a pleasure meeting you today and I'm glad you are at my table at MOPS. Your family is beautiful. God has richly blessed you. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing you again in two weeks. :-)
    Marney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marney - Thank you! It was so great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you more!

    ReplyDelete