Monday, May 16, 2011

Check up at Riley

I have learned many new things and gained a great deal of information over the first two years of Ashlyn's life.  I have read books about Down Syndrome, learned new terminology,  met new people, gone to more appointments than I used to, and am always in the process of learning more sign language.  One other thing I have learned is to never take your child's health for granted.  Before Ashlyn was born, I know I took Kyla's health for granted and just assumed that the next child we would have would be just the same.  

Our family spent this morning in Indy at Riley Hospital for Children for Ashlyn's two year check up at the Down Syndrome clinic there.  When you enter this place, you receive a big helping of perspective.  You pass signs for oncology, see the place where wheelchair fittings take place and watch parents hold up bags while their children receive feeding treatments.  You don't have to spend but a few minutes there to know to take nothing for granted. 

The gift of Ashlyn in my life has taught me that things you think will never ever happen, really do happen.  That your life can change in the course of a doctor giving you a diagnosis.  That has been true for every family that has had a child visit Riley......on all sorts of different levels.  Ashlyn has Down Syndrome and does have delays, but is very physically healthy and doing so well.  I don't take that for granted.  I am thankful for her health and her progress.  I have learned through our experience and the times we have been to Riley, that no one's child is exempt from having health problems or surgery or additional appointments.  I know our health and the health of our children or how many chromosomes they have is not a sure thing and certainly not something we can depend on for our security. 

I have learned that God is the one sure thing.  The only sure thing.  I have learned to never think it is our right to have a child with no health problems or delays.  I have learned to be thankful for every piece of health we are given and to know God will take care of us if things change.

I am thankful for Riley and the extremely caring doctors that care for children and their families there.  I am thankful for Dr. Lytle who sees Ashlyn and loves on her and takes time to talk to us about all of our questions.  Ashlyn had a really good appointment today and they said she is doing great.  We talked through a few of our concerns and things to watch for in the future.  And, once again, we left feeling so grateful that Ashlyn is our daughter and for her health.

Cuddling with daddy while waiting for the doctor

Still waiting, but having lots of fun....

 Waiting to get blood drawn and about to be not so happy

Getting some comfort from mommy after it was all done

One tired girl....it took a lot out of her

If your children are healthy today, don't take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment