Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Contentment

I think in the culture we live in contentment can be a very hard thing.  There is always the temptation for more stuff, more money, more clothes, etc.  We often find ourselves comparing our situations with someone else's.  In my opinion, discontentment can be one of the most miserable things there is and the older I get, the more I find God teaching me about this.  I am learning that thankfulness = contentment.  It is pretty simple, really.  It is very difficult to be thankful and discontent at the same time.  And, in my opinion, thankfulness each day for what you have and where you are is one of the most joyful things there is.  I pray my children see this in me and they learn what it means to be thankful each day for even the smallest things.

A few weeks ago, I was in a discussion about the topic of contentment and a friend of mine told me about a book she was reading that included in it something called the, "Holy Habits of Contentment" (from a book called "Calm My Anxious Heart."  These are the rules:

1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything - even the weather.

2. Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.

3. Never compare your lot with another's.

4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.

5. Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.

Very challenging rules, but so worth striving for.  I have also been reminded that this is not something I can do in my own strength.  I know that it is God's will for me to be content and so I pray and ask Him to help me because I know that whatever I ask for that is in God's will, He will do.  This I know, thankfulness most certainly leads to contentment.  Here are some things I am really thankful for these fall days.....

Ashlyn so happy to be out in the leaves

Kyla too!

And us too! 



 Cinderella

Tinkerbell

Ready to go trick or treating

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment