Monday, September 19, 2011

Sisters

Most mornings I get Ashlyn out of bed first because, bless her heart, she wakes up earlier than Kyla.  It takes Kyla and I a little longer to get going.  Anyway, almost every morning after we have some hugs and kisses she says, "Sissy."  She can't wait to see Kyla. And if I tell her that Kyla is still asleep she whispers, "Sissy sleeping."  And then once Kyla is awake the hugs and giggling start. 

I am sure there will be days in years to come when Kyla will wonder why her sister has Down Syndrome and nobody else's does.  I know there will be times when it will take extra patience.  But the bond they are forming right now and the love that is there, makes the future seem nothing but bright.  I love these girls so much and they love each other. 

First thing in the morning (jammies and bed head), time to play "kitchen"

 Game time

My favorite.....playing babies together







This sums it all up. Ashlyn was having a hard day.  I turned on a little Sesame Street and they watched it together.....holding hands.

For all of the tears that I cried, worrying that their relationship would be so different, I am learning that it is more special than I could have dreamed.
 

1 comment:

  1. You know, coming from the perspective of a sister in a very similar situation as Kyla, I can say that Kyla has it better than all the other sisters with "normal" relationships. Some days that may be difficult for her to remember. Some days she will be so frustrated. Some days, just like you, Kyla will have the strength to do nothing more than sit and cry out to God. But one day she will be so thankful that her sister is the perfect way that God made her. One day, she will see and know what I know: that there is absolutely nothing better than having the honor of being the sister of a beautiful, sweet, perpetually obnoxiously joyful person. Kids like Ashlyn and Amy (my sister) are exceptional and wonderful and the world just hasn't yet learned to cherish them. But Kyla and I are going to show them how. Because we love our awesome sisters. :-)

    ReplyDelete