Monday, October 22, 2012

Everything means everything

There are many times when I feel like I am hearing the same message over and over at the time I need to hear it.  God is faithful like that.  Sometimes I still can't believe that He knows us each so personally and talk to us each so personally. 

For me right now, God is speaking to me on the issue of surrender.  Surrender of my life to Him....something that I know I have done.....surrendered my life to Christ.  But I am finding and know that it really is a daily decision.  There is no way to live daily life without making this decision.....day in and day out.  There is too much going on.....too many issues, worries, desires, thoughts, hopes and relationships....it goes on and on.  Basically, every morning when I wake up, in my self, all I want is to have my way. I want to know how everything is going to work out.  But, as I get a few minutes into the day, if I am not careful, I will notice my anxiety level rising and know I have to surrender.  Every day. Every hour....minute by minute.  The beauty is that I know God means it for my good.  He doesn't ask me to surrender to Him everyday because He needs something from me.....it is for my good and His kingdom purposes.

Anyway, yesterday at church my awesome pastor spoke God's words that were so timely for me.  Everyday I thank God for making Troy my husband, but week after week I also thank Him that he is my pastor.   Some things I wrote down during yesterday's sermon.....

"Partial commitment coupled with even deep devotion is not enough.  That is not total surrender.  It isn't how much we have that makes the difference, it is how much of what we have does God have?"  

And isn't that just the thing?  Surrender is not partial....it is everything. And surrender of everything means freedom.  I love that.  I think we are always fighting the temptation to think that giving our whole lives over to God is so scary and costly, but it is always for our freedom.  A truth that I have to hold onto tightly.

And so today, right after yesterday's sermon, I read these truths on the same subject of submission to God from a study of the book of James I am currently in.....

*God knows everything about you and every matter concerning you.  Nothing is hidden from His sight.  So submit to God.
*He is always looking out for your ultimate good and takes your hurts personally.  So submit to God.
*He is holy and worthy and incapable of abusing His divine authority over you.  So submit to God.
*He knows when your motive was right but your mouth messed up.  So submit to God.
*He knows exactly how to work terrible into good.  So submit to God.
*He loves you completely and unconditionally and will never let you go.  So submit to God.
*He knows the well-deliberated plan for you life and how all things must fall into place for you to fulfill your destiny.  So submit to God.
*He will never put to shame those who trust in Him.  So submit to God.

There are some things for me that are harder than others to give over.  Total surrender or submission to God......however you put, everything means everything.  Thankful for God's grace that covers us on this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment