Monday, August 15, 2011

Our roots

In the summer Troy and I like to set aside time to go to our hometowns and be with our families.  It is hard for us to get away on the weekends, which means it can be tough to go home a lot.  So, we are always glad to make trips home and this past weekend we were in Springfield, IL.....one of my very favorite places.  I love it because our family is there and it holds so many memories for me and Troy.  And, Kyla and Ashlyn love it because Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Heidi are there.  We had a really fun weekend and here is why....

We baked in the kitchen with Grandma

 and made these really cute beach cupcakes

we liked them.

Kyla helped pick some tomatoes for Grandma

 We had a really fun time at the Illinois State Fair.  We went to the opening night parade and the girls could not have loved it more.  Kyla waved at all the floats and loved when they passed out candy.  Ashlyn loved it all....waved and clapped for everything.






 There is a great new park by Grandma and Grandpa's house that has a splash park as part of it.  So much fun!





Kyla having fun at Aunt Heidi's house

Our family

Another added perk of this weekend was that I got to be a part of my sister's first bridal shower.  My parents house is a little over an hour from Troy's, so on Saturday morning I headed down to my home church for the shower.  Here we are before the shower.....my mom, Kara (the bride to be) and me.


We love going home.  And as I was driving from Springfield down to Roxana, Illinois I kept thinking about all that God has brought together over these years.  These towns are our roots and we have received so many blessings because of them and because of the people who loved us as we grew up.  I had no idea when I was a little girl that an hour north from me was my future husband.  So when we are there and our children are with us, it is such evidence of God's providence and faithfulness.  As we were driving back to our Indiana home, somewhere as Illinois was about to turn into Indiana this beautiful rainbow filled up the sky.  Kyla knows the story of Noah and the rainbow that God brings to remind everyone that God keeps His promises.  As we were driving with the rainbow in our view, we reminded Kyla about that.  God always keeps His promises.  Going back to our roots always helps us see that.


No comments:

Post a Comment